Sunday, February 25, 2007

What an award.....

So, its Oscar time. but thats not what i am gonna' talk about.....here's to the Razzies-for being the worst awards! and the single great reason they win themselves this honor is this.

Yes, Manoj Night Shymalan, according to them is not only the worst director but also the worst supporting actor! and he "wins" these "honors" for his 'Lady in the Water".....really! now, that was not a bad movie, if you ask me! infact i found it pretty alright-not his best, but not something that would get him these accolades either.and he definitely doesn't qualify to be the worst supporting actor in anyway!

The movie was a simple fantasy.....with a simple message, that each one of us has a role to play in this world.....we may not know it.....but we are all here to do our bit. To me thats a fine message.

He's being labeled a man full of ego.....
"He cast himself as the savior role of the film on top of everything else," Wilson said. "Shyamalan falls into one of the traps that's almost guaranteed to win you a Razzie, when you let your ego run rampant as that man did." (From the CBS news link mentioned above)
Now, this is going over-board. His was not the saviour role-he was just the link that brought things together, someone who clearly couldn't do things alone.....Rather, he got the fantastic Paul Giamatti to play the protagonist.

If you have seen the movie (or have read through the links above) then you know that this was just another fantasy. How different it is from other fantasies that have graced the silver-screen!

Oh, i forgot, he deserves all this hate, because he actually criticized the critics!

Really, the only thing that could possibly be criticized was the over-the-top portrayal of the Korean family.

Some of the opinions expressed here and here and sounded more balanced to me.

Criticism is always better than hate!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're spot on... but I am here now for a different reason- to raise a toast to another movie from last year that we loved- I am so glad that 'The Departed' won two of the top honours at the Oscars. And am sure so are you. -- MD

musical said...

hey MD, great to see you :).

Yup, i loved The Departed! even as people are now busy ripping the movie apart, saying how it is a pale copy of Infernal Affairs etc etc. and therefore didn't deserve to win! It was a decent movie, i think. I haven't seen Babel, so can't comment which of the two was better.....

i loved Leo in the movie :). and Mark Wahlberg too.

and am sure even if it wouldn't have won the Oscars, we would still have the same thoughts about the movie :).

Also, there is a post-Oscar criticism of the winner every year-remember the Crash vs. Brokeback Mountain debate.

more later,
musical.

sbkt said...

The Razzies have always seemed pointless to me: the movies they choose are quite obviously bad and its not like they are bringing something new to the cinema debate.

And even if Shyamalan did run rampant with his ego, it is still far better than shoving your ego up your own whatever and making safe, tepid movies, as guys like Christopher Nolan are doing right now.

musical said...

"The movies chosen are quite obviously bad"

In this case, i don't think the movie was that bad, certainly not in the same league as Basic Instinct 2 and Little Man. Is this another movie on which we disagree ;).

But i agree, this doesn't further the quality cinema debate anyway-these awards are pointless indeed.

sbkt said...

"Is this another movie on which we disagree ;)."

:D. No. I haven't seen LITW.

musical said...

On an aside, what do you think of Madhur Bhandarkar's movies, sbkt. and for that matter K Jo's movies ;).

sbkt said...

"On an aside, what do you think of Madhur Bhandarkar's movies, sbkt."
I only saw Page 3. I found that okay. I am not a great fan though.

"and for that matter K Jo's movies ;)."
Don't get me started on him. That guy doesn't deserve a quick death. Nothing but slow asphyxiation will do for him.

I see you like Dev Anand. I like him too. And I loved Guide. Also Jewel Thief.

musical said...

Awwwww, you are so harsh on KJo. I don't like his early movies-but he's improved quite a bit with KHNH and KANK. He makes full-on masala movies and candidly so. I didn't like some bits in KHNH while Preity's confusion was brought out well. I guess he'll move on to do better. Don't be so mean to him, there are far worse film-makers out there.

Personally, i don't mind masala movies, so long as they don't go overboard. Atleast, such movies are honest about being masala fair. I have problems with some of the makers of the so-called "movies with a message".....where they try to make a topical movie and lose touch with the subject in the end. It precisely for this reason i don't admire Madhur Bhandarkar-he picks up decent subjects only to ruin them by trying to do too much.Another recent movie i hated was "Yun Hota to Kya Hota"-and i usually don't hate Hindi movies!

I love Dev Anand's early movies and only the two movies you mentioned from his later works. Some of Gurudutt's movies are also great.

Actually i enjoy watching Hindi movies :). and no i don't think its a guilty pleasure for me!

BTW, i liked Der Untergang and A fish called Wanda too.

sbkt said...

musical, I love masala movies and never let go a chance to see a Bollywood film. And its no guilty pleasure for me either. I don't care much for the movie-with-msg genre myself. I just want a movie to be entertaining. I'd much sooner watch Golmaal than Page 3.

I know there are filmmakers worse than KJ, but I think he disrespects the Indian audience the most. The only KJ movie I have seen properly beginning-to-end in a theatre is K3G, and I found it emotionally manipulative. That Jana Gana Mana sequence was so exploitative I have never gotten over that.

wrt KHNH, I found SRK's nice-guy-everyone-loves-me character v phoney. I can't say for KANK as I haven't seen it except in bits and pieces.

musical said...

Completely agree with point 1.

Hated K3G totally, despite the fact that it had SRK-its really difficult to hate something with SRK!

In KHNH, i just liked they way they protrayed Preity's confusion, her dilemma.....the choices she had to make, and what "love" means in the real world. SRK's character was very sugary.....i agree with you on that. but then, i am a die-hard SRK fan ;). Again, KANK was fine in quite a few scenes-but could ahve been better. As for KJo exploiting audience-i have no sympathies for an audience who let themselves be exploited. People adored K3G, for all i know-and felt that the National Anthem sequence was wow! He usually serves what the "audience" wants. The same people hated KANK, which i felt was much better than K3G. So, i guess each to their own :).

Golmaal, now thats a favorite :)). Amol Palekar-Utpal Dutt duo gave us some great comedies :).